The London North West Healthcare Trust is one of three ‘Super Training Hubs’ in London. The Health Visiting Clinical Academic Hub was created to develop the current workforce, be a beacon of excellence and the employer of choice where health visitors want to work.
The aim is to ensure high quality health visiting services are delivered to improve outcomes for children and families. In order to do this, the hub has focused on workforce development, quality improvement, collaborative working and leadership and innovation.
Workforce development has been achieved by:
- outlining plans to develop staff at all levels through the health visiting education and development strategy;
- providing support for specialist community practice teachers, mentors and students;
- development of a tailor made training package following a training needs analysis;
- providing restorative supervision to all health visitors;
- Department of Health / Institute of Health Visiting perinatal mental health training to all health visiting staff; and,
- a bimonthly newsletter, Facebook and Twitter page.
To focus on leadership and innovations the hub is creating a learning organisation, ensuring health visiting teams are involved in developing and shaping the future, sharing and promoting good practice and completing a local audit around perinatal mental health.
The hub has received positive feedback, which has meant nursing and health visiting research can be conducted, ultimately contributing and improving outcomes for children and families.